When I first read about the writers memo, I thought that I have never been asked to do something like that. When Shipka brought up the statement of goals and choices, I was like...oh yeah. I think the reason I assumed I have never done one was because the article focuses on answering questions about writing, and the writing process. I know that I have done writing for Shipka, but when I think of the sogac, I think that I answered so many questions, about every part of the process, that I didn't even consider it as a writers memo. I guess also because when I read this article, I thought that students would hate it. They would not want to do this extra work, having to explain their choices. I though , would they even know what their choices were the whole time? I actually had fun doing the sogac, so maybe that is why I did not join the two at first. Now I see that I have done a writers memo, and I think that it was an amazing thing to do. It not only was something different to do, which is a huge plus when taking all English classes, but it really helped me. It made me see what I was doing, the choices that I made. Some were good choices, some were actually not so good, and I was able to recognise that for next time. It also helped me examine my own process for every thing that I do, not just projects for Shipka, but assignments for other classes, even outside of school stuff. I think that the writers memo is a great idea for writing. Students should be aware of their choices.
With Explaining Ones Rhetorical Choices, same idea, just in conferences. Like I said about Beach, I think that it is a great idea, just hard for high school. I do think that these conferences with students about their choices is doable. Even if it is hard, I think that it is really important to do. Teachers need to know and understand what it is their students are trying to say. They need to have the opportunity to tell teachers what they did and why. It may look bad to me, but if they have a reason for doing it that way, then how can I judge that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment