Monday, May 14, 2007

May 10, Academic Margins, Technology

Academic Margins
Basic writing is a weird subject to me. I don't see why anyone would want to abolish basic writing courses. They seem so mandatory these days. I understand that if someone is in college, the SHOULD know how to write, but that isn't usually the case. Many students who are in poorer high schools have no control over what they are being taught, and usually don't know better to try and change it. If those students choose college, college should want to help those students out and educate them to the best of their ability. Basic writing is needed for every class that will be taken and is needed for most jobs and careers. How are we supposed to just throw them into a composition course if they are just going to fail. What should the college care about teaching basic writing? If students are placed there, they will need to take that before the comp class. They are still paying for their education. I hope it isn't an issue of race and class prejudice as Mutnick points out.
I like the idea of, "errors represent the writer's attempt to systematize language, to approximate the standard written code in the absence of adequate instruction and practice." That is a good point, I have never though about that.
Basic writing can help out many students, and good teaching can show the students their potential for being great writers. The goal should be to get them to move "inside the margins."

Technology and the Teaching of Writing
This essay was funny because it did seem outdated as we said in class. Just talking about "word-processing" seemed ancient to me. Moran also seems to be stating the obvious for this generation.
Technology has been a hot topic. I agree with Shipka that technology is almost inescapable in a classroom, be it the lights, the chalkboard, the clothes that people are wearing, etc. It is frustrating to hear a teacher talking about how they are not going to change what they are doing, when in fact they are using technology. I think that it is important in a classroom. I may not be super savvy on computers, but I do think they are the future, just like the students.
E-mail is weird. We talked about this as well. Would I allow students to e-mail me? In high school? You know, I don't think I would give them all my e0mail the first day of class or anything, but if there was situation where I wouldn't see student for a period of time, then sure. I think e-mail is a great way to communicate, as long as everyone has it, which everyone does not. Online discussion is the same way. Although that frustrates me more. I want to be able to say what I want, when I want...I hate when I am not heard, or am over shadowed by others who are chatting. The Internet is great for a classroom. There are so many projects and fun things for students to do on the web.
Technology always come up. It seems that we talk about it in every class, even when it isn't the subject of conversation. I think that technology will be something that I will be hearing about for a long time.

1 comment:

Ian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.