Saturday, May 12, 2007

March 27, Lauren

The first time I read this paper, I thought it was a "creative" way to get her point across. I bet this looks like sarcastic, smart ass shit to most teachers, but I do see where she was going with it, or at least I hope that's where she was going with it and this paper isn't actually serious. This is the cliche paper that many teachers are looking for. It has every component of a good essay. It has the perfect title, the attention getting introduction, the topic sentences that "flow" The thesis written clearly so that it can be seen. and so on. It is kind of sad to see this paper and think that this is what we do to get through school. I admit that I myself have written many of these papers, of course not so obviously. I understand that that is the way that the teachers were taught, so that is they way we are taught., The version with the nice comments was funny to me because they seemed SOOO fake, and I know they are, it is just that they were smart ass as well. It just shows that teachers are doing the same thing as students. They are giving in to the ideals that people place on them. They aren't even reading the paper. The content is of no meaning almost. The format is becoming the main focus. The paper with the negative comments was harsh, but something I would more expect coming from Shipka, if these are her comments. Maybe this paper is crap, but I think it gets a very real point across, that sometimes students may think what teachers expect is crap as well.

No comments: