Saturday, May 12, 2007

March 29 Students rights

I actually love this article. I completely agree with what is said here. The classroom is such a weird thing to me. In the "real world" a reader does assume that the writer has some authority on what they are saying, and when we read something we don't pick at it, looking for something to correct. Well, maybe some of us do, but I don't. It is weird that in the classroom, that all goes out the window. The reader, or teacher still remains the authority figure and gets to tell the writer what they did or said wrong. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I understand that spelling can be corrected, and stuff like that, but how can we tell students that they are saying something wrong. I really like the idea of going through the writing, paragraph by paragraph, asking the students what they are saying, and how they intended to say it. They should have rights over their own texts. I think it is very detrimental to students to continue correcting them, essentially making their text into the what the teacher wants. This can only make the students not what to share their ideas or talents any more. Multiple drafts can help I think, but more so just communicating with the students, and finding out what they are doing before trying to change it.

No comments: