Saturday, May 12, 2007

April 3

Probst:

Okay, well I agree and disagree with this one. I think that we definitely put our own experiences and culture and community into each word. I understand if the word dog means something nice to one person and something bad to another. However, the meaning of the word dog is the same. There are limits that we must follow, or at least assume when writing or reading. If we read something about a dog for instance, we must take that words meaning from the context it is in. If it is about a mean dog, then there you go. When writing, we must also be careful not to assume that everyone thinks the way we do. We need to explain what we mean sometimes. This may be hard for some students, but I think that if we approach writing with this idea, we are causing more problems for ourselves and others. I know that every culture, community, and individual in each of these has something new to bring, has some ideas already of what things are. I understand that and I accept it. I don't think that we CAN start focusing on something like that, we just need to be ready to have students explaining what they mean at times. If the student can explain themselves, then they are fine. The thing is, there is a dictionary, and every student should have one. If they are ever in doubt, they can use it. Of course I will always give my students an opportunity to tell me where they are coming from. I think that they do need to become skillful readers of their own writing. That will help them understand where perhaps they can be questionable.

Beach

I am not sure that Beach's ideas are realistic in a high school setting. Although I would love it if I could come up with a plan where there would be a workshop day, or a conference day during a regular classroom day to discuss this with students. I would actually say that there would have to be one on ones at some point with each student to discuss what they are doing in writing. I guess that Beach may say that this is an easy way to do this, but I think it is only easy to him because he has the resources to do it. I do think it is important for students to ask themselves questions in their writing, questions that focus on what they were trying to say, or who they are writing for, etc. Students understanding their own strategies would really help them out in their writing, as well as in reading and other subjects. If they can come out of it being able to assess their own writing, that would be great. Once again though, this may be hard in High School.

No comments: