Saturday, May 12, 2007

Selfe, Towards New Media April 10

Once again, I agree with this section. As I said about the article by Sean Williams, visual literacy is just as important as verbal or any other literacy. I like how Selfe defines her own writing in this chapter. She spells everything out for her reader. She decides to call the author a composer/designer, she says how she will use terms, etc. I think that is important to define your own writing, so it is nice to see someone who is published doing it. I agree that we can no longer just focus on alphabetic literacy. The world has changed, and we must follow. Visuals have taken over and so we must incorporate them into education. Selfe gives plenty of examples on how to incorporate this literacy which is wonderful. So many times we will read about something we should be doing, but there are no examples on how to change. I think she had great ways of working with the visual. I especially liked the idea of the students evaluating each other. This really gives them a better understanding of what they are looking for. This literacy will probably be a topic of discussion for a long time because not everyone is willing to change yet, which is upsetting.

No comments: