Saturday, May 12, 2007

sticky embrace April 17

I think we had a really good discussion of this chapter in class. I think Wysocki is absolutely right on her idea of beauty and aesthetics. The Peek ad was a perfect ad to talk about. It is amazing what a small ad can really do. I found it very interesting to learn about how this ad was set up for our eyes. How the brightest spot is where we look first, at her ass. How the words on the ad flowed through so that it was pleasing to the eye. All of these things are really important. I did find it interesting that she said "we are not encouraged to ask about the woman in the ad as a woman, only as a shape." I though it was funny she would say that because when I first saw the ad, I actually did wonder who that woman was, is she just a model, or is she someones friend, where is she now, etc. Maybe I wonder that stuff because I am an artist who sees my subjects as people, not just subjects, and that is what really can add to or take away from a drawing or picture. Anyway, I think that students should be taught about these visuals more because we see this stuff everyday. Not only do we see this everyday, we too have to make these sorts of choices when it comes to our writing. Composing visuals is important as well for students and I think they need to be able to do it well. I thought that Kant's aesthetics were interesting. Knowing about understanding, reason, and judgement are very important to composing and making choices. Beauty is how we make it. We can do a lot with images, words, colors, and so on, it all depends on how we use these things that will decide if it is beautiful or now.

No comments: