Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Today...actually today's class
So in class today we went off on some topics that seemed to come out of nowhere. I liked it. First I want to talk some on the subject of touching students. I know that not all teachers even want to touch students, but it is kind of ridiculous how strict we are in what we can and cannot do in a classroom. I taught drama to kids a while back. I really don't like kids (unless related)! But still, I found myself touching them because they wanted to touch me. Most of them did not speak English and I think that maybe that was a way of showing me that they were happy with what was going on. What happens then? Do I say, "no, I can't hug you." I mean come on. Is it only at a certain age when I shouldn't hug a student? Even in my observations of 9th graders, I found myself giving a couple students a hug goodbye when I was done there. They came to me, and were great kids. I just don't get it. About the PC issues...that is out of control! I myself am very careful about what and how I say things because I don't want to offend anyone. How did we get this way? There is definitely a line that shouldn't be crossed, but who created that line? It is very weird. I do think that if we want to teach something that may contain words or ideas that could be seen as incorrect, we should talk with the students before hand and let them know what the material is, and how they feel about it. If a word is used in reading, we should talk about it and what it meant in its context. I know when observing, we were reading A Raisin in the Sun. The "N" word was used more than once. The teacher after that was read, by a student, explained what it meant by the character who said it, and how it was used in that time. The students seemed a little shocked, but understood and went on with the play. It is important to keep communication open between a student and a teacher. The parents are also important here.....a teacher can say that the student can ask a parent how they feel. I mean, there is always going to be a touchy subject for someone, but what can you do. I hope I don't end up on the news.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment