Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pomo Blues

Okay, this one I'm really not sure about. I think I know what Carroll is saying, I'm not sure that I agree with it. I do think that students have a pre-conceived notion of what they are "supposed" to write. This is something that I wish could be changed, but probably won't because then every teacher would have to teach in a different way. There are types of writing that the students usually do. However, I do think that even if the category is similar to many other papers, it can still be an individuals work. I know that culture and environment play a pat in everything that we do, but it isn't all that we do. There is something in people that is still new, at least to the person writing. There are only so many situations in life, how can we expect ":fresh" subjects. The thing is, the subjects are fresh when it comes to the details. No one person has the same exact experience as someone else. Even if there are two people together, experiencing the same thing....they still will have something different to say about it. That is just the way writing works sometimes. It is okay if a topic of a paper if one we have seen many times. It still won't be the exact thing we saw. Anyway, the thing is I am not sure that what Carroll is saying is completely accurate to me. I am an idealist and think that we are all so unique that we couldn't possibly produce the same texts over and over again, unless we are copying word by word someone else's writing.

No comments: