After just leaving class, talking about the happening movement, I would like to add some more: Silence as Experience, by Deena Metzger. It interested me right away because of the Cal Arts reference, which I used to live less than half a mile from. It then got me interested by describing the silence workshop. I think that this is a cool idea. Personally I don't need silence to write, but there are times when I am writing something for personal reasons when I really enjoy the silence. This workshop provides the students with a chance to find their "inner self" which to me is that little voice that I hear when I am writing, guiding me through my experiences, preferences, pleasures, dislikes, etc. Maybe I sound crazy now, but does anyone know what I mean? Anyway, I think it is important to have the time and the means to be able to find that or to at least be able to be focused on something for a good amount of time without distraction, unless of course silence is a distraction to you. My point I guess is that Metzger's workshop was a neat "experiment" if you will, to see what the final product is. It was nice that they had a choice of what to do as well. They were not given a topic or style to write about, they could even draw if they wanted, or nap!
It was weird though that Metzger said that she wanted the students to "turn inward" and "avoid the distraction of others," yet they all ate at the same time in a ritualistic manner, as well as opening and closing the day. Anyway, I did like it and actually may try it in one of my classes in the future, but they sure as hell aren't all coming over to my house!!!!
I also enjoyed Freshman Masks, by Robert Lambert, because it gave some good ways to have the students identify their own writing. Some students may not actually realize how pretentious they actually sound in their writing. I like the idea of reading examples from other papers that sounds similar and having them hear it. I think it is important to do something about these "masks" so that the students will have a real chance to express THEMSELVES and not someone that they think they should represent.
Not excited about leaving this building and walking to my car with the snow wind in my face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment